Thursday 2 February 2017

We rise by lifting others

When I was writing my university dissertation, I had trouble thinking of what to write. I felt like most of what I was writing was just empty jargon. Sat in the library with my best friend, I was seconds away from an emotional breakdown. I had repeated again and again "I can't do this". In doing so, not only had I voiced words that weren't true, I had convinced myself further that the task at hand was impossible.

My friend, equally battling with her own dissertation demons, turned to me and held my hand. She saved mine and her own work and struck up a deal. "How about we go and get a dinner wrap and a carrot cake and take a break, During that hour break, we both talked about everything but the dissertation. We both dreaded going back to work but with a minute sense of refreshment, we tried once again. After a few hours, I still hadn't gotten more than 50 words down but she had finished pages. I felt worse and decided to call it a night, and in my heart of hearts I had given up for the night. At home, I sat with a cup of hot chocolate and reached into my bag for a book. as I reached in I found a note. 

I believe in you 

That is all it took. I suddenly felt 100 times lighter. I pulled out my laptop and got back to work, hot chocolate in hand. 

It is incredible isn't it? 4 words convinced me that I could do it. 4 small words. I don't think my friend knew how much power her words had on me. Just because she believed it, I started to believe in myself again. So I propose an idea. I propose a daily action. Whether it be someone you are incredibly close to or someone that you barely know, contribute a few words of encouragement. Help them see they deserve more credit than they are giving themselves. Be the positive push that they need. Not only will you be helping to lift their emotions, there is also the added feeling that YOU made a difference to someone and remember that YOU are ALSO capable of greatness.

After all, we rise by lifting others 

No comments:

Post a Comment